Racism, intersectionality, privilege, power, fragility and allyship
This podcast discusses key issues on promoting anti-racism in social work with Dez Holmes and Wayne Reid.
Dez Holmes, Director of Research in Practice and Wayne Reid, BASW England’s Professional Officer, Social Worker and Anti-Racism Visionary discuss the key issues highlighted by Wayne in a presentation on promoting anti-racism in social work.
This podcast looks at:
- The role and power of language.
- How anti-racism might inform regulation.
- Self-care when fighting racism.
- The role of allyship and what it entails.
- What we mean by power and how it can be unleashed.
- Anglo-centric perspectives in evidence and the white gaze.
- Why activism is so important to social work.
Resources mentioned in the podcast
- BASW comments on the Commission for Race and Ethnic Disparities Report March 2021
- Becoming Anti-Racist
- British Education Does Perpetuate Racism - Dr Kehinde Andrews
- Practice Supervisor Development Programme: Thinking about the impact of racism
- Why social work activism isn't dead
Related Research in Practice resources
- Bridget N’gandu’s presentation on activism at Towards a fairer future – addressing inequality in recovery: Leaders’ Forum 2020
- Exploring power and difference in adult social care
- Practice Supervisor Development Programme: Promoting Evidence-Informed Practice
- How do you share or unleash power when working with people from minoritised backgrounds?
- How is activism part of your role?
- How do you and your organisation critique evidence and the resources that you use?
PQS:KSS - Relationships and effective direct work | Communication | Child and family assessment | Analysis, decision-making, planning and review | Organisational context | Promote and govern excellent practice | Developing excellent practitioners | Shaping and influencing the practice system | Effective use of power and authority | Confident analysis and decision-making | Purposeful and effective social work | Emotionally intelligent practice supervision | Designing a system to support effective practice | Creating a context for excellent practice | Developing excellent practitioners | Support effective decision-making | The role of social workers | Person-centred practice | Effective assessment and outcome based support planning | Organisational context | Professional ethics and leadership | Values and ethics | Assuring good social work practice and development | Developing confident and capable social workers | Promoting and supporting critical analysis and decision-making | Effective use of power and authority as a practice supervisor
CQC - Caring | Effective | Safe
PCF - Values and ethics | Diversity and equality | Rights, justice and economic wellbeing | Critical reflection and analysis | Intervention and skills | Contexts and organisations
RCOT - Communication | Identify needs | Understanding relationship