Community development work: The approach in Cornwall Council
This podcast discusses the role of community development workers across Cornwall and describes how the approach has been adapted in the context of COVID-19.
Julie Wilkinson, Associate Research and Development Manager at Research in Practice speaks to Becky Higgins, Cornwall Council's Early Help Hub VCS Engagement Coordinator and Lead for the Community Development Worker Project.
They discuss the role of community development workers across Cornwall and the ethos and benefits of the approach for children and families, the community and the council. Becky also describes how the approach has been adapted in the context of COVID-19 and how this could be developed further in the future. This is the second in a series of podcasts on the topic of community development.
Becky and Julie discussed:
- The work of community development workers.
- The origins and ethos of the approach.
- The co-location of community development workers in the Early Help Hub.
- How previous work has enabled the council to better deal with the impact of COVID-19.
- The key benefits of the approach for individuals, the community and the local authority.
- Advice for others wanting to do similar work.
PQS:KSS - Shaping and influencing the practice system | Creating a context for excellent practice | Designing a system to support effective practice
PCF - Values and ethics | Diversity and equality | Contexts and organisations